Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards is owned and managed by the Cameron Family who have successfully operated their grazing and farming interests at this location for more than a century. With over 80 years of experience between them Simon, Nick and Ben Cameron are the fourth generation and have combined their individual skill sets and experience to expand their grain and cattle business into feedlotting.
Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards is a proud regional enterprise, contributing to the community in which we operate and conduct business.
In addition to employing locally and supporting local businesses, Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards aims to support the youth and local sporting clubs in the region, including: ICPA, Junior Rugby League and Junior Netball.
The family owners of Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards are 4th generation farmers who make their living from the land. Consequently, it is in our best interest to protect and nurture the environment for future generations.
We operate in accordance with strict environmental guidelines set out in Australian legislation. As well, the feedlot is responsible for complying with the stringent standards determined by the National Feedlot Accreditation Scheme, which includes requirements relating to environmental management, reporting and the impact of operations on water, soil, the community and overall ecology.
Investment in technology, combined with a commitment to ongoing improvement, enables Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards to make a genuine contribution to environmental sustainability.
From commencement of business, Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards has operated under the National Feedlot Accreditation Scheme (NFAS)
As part of the scheme, Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards is independently audited annually across five key standard modules:
• Livestock Management
• Food Safety Management
• Environmental Management
• Product Integrity
• Quality Management Systems
We have a high level of compliance to NFAS requirements and continually look for ways to improve our practices by:
- Low stress cattle handling techniques
- Ongoing training for all team members
- Daily health checks of all animals by qualified stockmen and stockwomen
- Provision of onsite animal hospitals with treatment protocols designed by our consulting veterinarian
- Individualised attention for sick animals
- Superior infrastructure & equipment for animal health & welfare
- On call veterinarians & nutritionists available 24/7
- Ample room for cattle in pens to move freely
- Clean drinking water available 24 hours a day
- A high quality and nutritious freshly milled ration fed daily
- High frequency pen cleaning to provide a clean environment for cattle
- Taking steps to minimise stress during transport (adjusting the time of day of transport, having familiar animals together)
Our success is reliant on healthy animals and we treat them with the utmost respect and handle them in a humane and ethical manner.
Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards and its related farming businesses are committed to the industries in which they are involved. Where possible, the businesses retain an active membership in organisations such as:
- We are constantly looking to purchase quality flat back trade steers & heifers suitable for the Woolworths and Coles supply chains (approx.. 320-380kg LWT)
- We are EU accredited and are constantly looking to procure EU feeder cattle.
- Contact Nick Cameron on 0427 268304 for current prices for these types of cattle.
Roma Feedlot & Spelling yards is a proud supplier to:
- Coles Supermarkets Australia
- NH Foods (EU cattle)
- Kilcoy Global Foods
- JBS – Beef City
The feedlot was designed as a cost efficient feed yard. The wellbeing and performance of your cattle is something we pride ourselves on. The business boasts new grain milling and tempering facilities and smaller feed yard pens of 133 (SCU) for maximising comfort and feed conversion.
Roma Feedlot is located 40km south west of Roma and is only 16km (net) off the main eastbound route for cattle travelling east and south. Being located on the western side of Roma allows for direct access by type 2 Road trains (Triples) from the west.Get Directions
We offer spelling facilities for cattle in transit or for accumulating mobs of cattle for redistribution to backgrounding properties. Unload, feed, water and rest your cattle in transit.
It is an ideal facility for prepping sale bulls (from the south) to adjust to the climate and be prepared for the bull sales in Queensland.
Specifications & Quality
To achieve the high standard of results in our cattle, Roma Feedlot & Spelling Yards follows strict specifications in relation to any commodities purchased for use in the feedlot. The hygiene and nutritional value of feed is paramount, and this starts with strongest quality control.
We regularly purchase the following commodities:
- White Cotton Seed
- Wheaten or Oaten Hay
Call Simon Cameron on 0427 268 336 for current pricing.
We require all commodities be delivered to industry and contract specifications. Guidelines are based on the standards set out by Grain Trade Australia (GTA). Specs can be found here.